Sometimes we find ourselves in a different place even though we are in one place which is sign of Altered States of Consciousness. Waking up when we feel different from the normal condition such as day-dreaming in which we find ourselves in a different situation for some time.
During any such event, we access the altered state of consciousness which is not available during normal condition.
Such an experience can be exciting and full of fear or a combination of both. This is a condition in which we alter reality for some time.
Has it ever happened to you that you are sitting in class and the teacher’s voice is being heard in your ear? Internally you are not there but in some other place.
You get out of reality for some time and find yourself different which is temporarily and you find yourself back in class after some time. It is beyond your understanding that what happened to you some time ago?
If the seeker who walks on the Spiritual Path is to be believed, then our subconscious mind constantly gives us the signs related to the coming future.
Accessing the second state of consciousness in this way shows that we are going to experience something different in the coming time.
Sometimes Altered States of Consciousness also helps us to know the true meaning of life. It is believed that doing this makes us spiritual or connects us to the true path, from which we go astray.
In this stage, there is a change in the overall pattern of conscious experience for some time. During this time we are between altered and normal states of consciousness.
In fact, it does not change in any kind of consciousness, but shows the informational or representational relationships that take place between consciousness and the world.
What is Altered States of Consciousness?
This is a state in which there is some change in the neurocognitive background mechanisms of consciousness.
When this happens, the ability to see misrepresentations is affected in such a way that we start experiencing hallucinations, delusions, and memory distortions.
Some people experience this kind of situation when they become more and more mindful. This changes our ability to think and understand as well as in analysis.
Usually when this happens, we get away from reality for some time.
This happening is not a sign of any kind of problem but, if this is happening to you again and again then you should pay attention to your physical and mental health check-up.
If this is happening due to some kind of problem, then it can be a warning sign like sudden blackout.
Even in such a situation, we experience Altered Consciousness for some time.
However, it is not necessary that this is due to some kind of medical problem, because many times we experience this kind of experience even during meditation. Let us know about the different types of Altered States of Consciousness and how they work.
Different Types of Altered States of Consciousness
If seen, on the basis of different experience and situation, we experience different types of altered states of consciousness. Some of these are as follows.
- Drug-induced hallucinogenic or psychedelic states experienced during intoxication
- Hypnotic states experienced during hypnosis
- Meditative states Feeling yourself in a different state for a while during meditation
- Out-of-body experiences (OBE) is also a kind of Altered States of Consciousness experience.
- Alien abductions Feeling imprisoned by others in a strange situation for some time, such as a state of sleep paralysis.
- Shamanic trances take consciousness to another level and feel different.
- Yogic states (eg. Siddhis) change in consciousness through yoga, this change happens in our thinking and attitude.
- Lucid dreaming of dreams that is different from ordinary dreams.
- Psychosis (mental illness) Mental illnesses which occur due to lack of sleep.
- Mystical experiences that cannot be explained.
We experience all this on another level of consciousness and when we come back to consciousness, we all feel like a dream. In fact, whatever we experience, the perspective of seeing it is different and there is a change in the level of consciousness.
Our experiences control our thinking and attitude and this is the reason why experiences are also different in different situations.
Causes of Altered States of Consciousness
There are many reasons due to which we experience a shift in consciousness for some time, in which our perspective of seeing and thinking changes for some time.
If we start seeing the normal reality or physical world in a different way, then this is also an Alter States of Consciousness or a change in the level of consciousness.
Let us know about some such reasons which become the reason for such change.
- Trauma (mental, emotional, and physical) any kind of past life experience.
- Sensory deprivation: Suddenly, things start to feel different.
- Altered States of Consciousness can impair sleep not getting enough sleep.
- Fasting Changes in diet or fasting which makes us spiritual or brings about a change in thinking.
- Breath-work Breath Modification and Control
- Praying regularly brings changes in thinking and understanding.
- Astral projection experiencing the subtle body changes our perspective and we start seeing and feeling things differently.
- Entheogenic drugs such drugs that for some time make the reality as we think or want.
- Near-death experiences some kind of death experience.
- Hypnosis and trance states there is a change in our level of consciousness even during hypnosis.
- Deep states of meditation during deep meditation we sometimes feel as if we are traveling in a bullet train.
- Ego death
- Kundalini awakening after the awakening of Kundalini Shakti, many defects are eliminated.
- Shamanic or spiritual healing those who do spiritual healing are free from unwanted thoughts.
Apart from all this, there can be many reasons which become the reason for Altered States of Consciousness, but, this is the situation that most of the people experience. Now you must have probably started having an idea that when and how you had such an experience.
15 Signs you’ve had an Altered States of Consciousness
If we talk about the experience that happens during the daily life routine, then you will find many such altered states of consciousness examples when you experience such a situation.
If this kind of situation is happening to you, then understand that you have just felt a change in consciousness.
During the journey we suddenly fall asleep. Have you ever noticed that the sleep that you take during this is only for 20 to 30 minutes at most, but it seems as if you are sleeping for the last 3-4 hours?
Having a slow or fast experience in this kind of time indicates a change of consciousness.
- Many times while listening to any music, we get lost in it and for some time we do not have a sense of the physical body and the world.
- Experiencing Altered States of Consciousness can increased focus or narrowed perception in myself for some time. To become hyper-aware about what is happening to us or what we are doing, although it is limited to only a few activities and not the whole time.
- Many times, while working, while walking or at any other time, visionary experiences roam in the mind. Seeing events as a sign or like a movie, although it can also be a sign of your inner psychic ability or powers.
- Change in our thinking or suddenly become silent. This situation is different from normal because in this we suddenly become calm while thinking or it seems as if our brain has become stable.
- The state of amnesia or hypermnesia where we are unable to remember what happened to us properly and events can be remembered in pieces which we are able to remember little by little.
- A change in suggestion that is a sudden change in suggestion, in which there is a change in our inner thoughts.
- Catalepsy which is a condition in which we become numb for some time, in such a situation there are experiences like muscle stiffness and fixed posture.
- Many times we experience age regression or progression in which we experience ourselves as past life self or future self. You must have seen in the movie that a young man looks at his childhood and old age in the mirror and gets lost in it. To experience memories in one form.
- Sometimes there is a sudden relaxation of the body which is known as Analgesia or Anaesthesia. Our body becomes paralyzed for some time. It’s all kind of Altered States of Consciousness experience.
- Suddenly experiencing intense relaxation or activation. You must have seen that many times, even without wanting, suddenly our body either becomes numb or the nervousness increases. This happens when we meet or are about to meet someone with whom we have a subconscious connection.
- To experience the state of dissociation for some time.
Apart from this, there are some other conditions that we can experience such as accessing deeper insights easily.
If you have heard about Mindfulness meditation then you know that in this method of meditation we keep ourselves as much as possible in the present. We call this as flow states, that is, to tune ourselves with what is happening for a long time.
Why Do We Experience Altered States?
We have come to know what kind of experiences we have, but we had ever tried to know about the reason for their occurrence.
Generally, there can be many reasons for experiencing the Altered States of Consciousness.
Most of the traditionally-trained psychologists and psychiatrists who have done research based only on bookish knowledge, they find it all like a mental illness because they have no answer to them nor can they associate it with any theory.
Some feel it like chemical imbalances due to which the brain feels all this. Despite all this, spiritual practitioners associate it with alternate universes.
They believe that all this upgrade in DNA is the result of etheric energy field. What is this really?
However, out of all the Altered States of Consciousness experience mentioned above, some of them are experienced due to trauma and mental illness and some neurological impairments.
Despite all this, one thing is clear that this kind of experience has some meaning because without any reason nothing happens. Having such an experience can give us some hidden sign about the meaning of life.
Some get to know about such hidden meanings.
Path of Soul Initiation
Most of the events related to Altered States of Consciousness have been linked to religious or spiritual context.
In spiritual practices such as trance-inducing Sufi dancing, the chanting of Hindus, the deep prayer of Christians, the meditative practices of Buddhists or something like that, it is presented as a dedication.
There are mainly 3 reasons for this, such as
- Such experiences shift our consciousness from small and narrow ego-self to big and expansive Core Self.
- Such experiences of Altered States of Consciousness enable us to have deep self-understanding and consequent self-transformation.
- Helps himself to remain spiritual for a long time.
If seen, Altered States helps us to move away from Physical Reality to access the Higher Self for some time. Most of us have wandered about our life meaning, in such a situation, these experiences help us to Attune or align ourselves back.
Why Are Altered States Sometimes Terrifying?
There is no doubt that Altered States of Consciousness experiences are mostly associated with positive and spiritual awakening but at times they can also be horrific or terrifying.
The reason for this is our greatest fear, mortality is our greatest fear and Altered States makes us face its reality.
Many times it is experienced due to past life trauma or it creates such trauma itself.
Many times there is some traumatic activity in our past life but it does not show its effect at that time. Now you see its effect, when there is any activity related to it, then it triggers our altered state.
Such people struggle for a long time in their life with the state of fear, mistrust, and resistance to life. On the contrary, forgetting the old memories and making a new beginning, people enjoy their life.
The only conclusion from all this is that your mental state is everything that controls the altered states of consciousness.
How can maximum benefit be taken from it?
We all go through this kind of situation and we cannot distance ourselves from it. The important thing is how you use this position. If you are using it for change then Altered States of Consciousness will always help you to make new changes and move forward.
Every day, knowingly or unknowingly, we enter into the alternative of consciousness, but there are some conditions and experiences that we cannot ignore. They have some meaningful way in our life.
Such experiences help us to move forward or suggest new ways in dealing with the problem of the present. Without any integration, this kind of experience has no meaning and we are not able to bring change in our life.
If you also want to move forward in your life and want to bring the altered states of consciousness experience as a positive change, then for this you can do the following measures yourself.
Journaling: Whenever you experience a change in consciousness, you can ask yourself some questions such as “what kind of experience triggered what in you”,
“What part of this experience is related to your life” and “What is the Deeper Meaning of this kind of experience” Journal related to such questions will help you to understand a lot which usually you have probably been ignoring.
Draw it giving a shape to any fantasy connects you to that fantasy more and more.
With this you are able to understand the experience better and it makes you creative as well as engages the subconscious. Drawing your own experience of Altered States of Consciousness can help you understand it more.
The non-ordinary state of consciousness has no importance until you can understand your daily life and lived experience from it. In simple words, you should know what kind of practical changes you can make with this kind of experience, only then can you connect any sense of it with life.
Where can you add this experience to your real life and through this you can achieve your goal. Understanding all these things is the real meaning of non-ordinary states of consciousness.
How Altered States of Consciousness Experience can change our life Final word
Knowingly unknowingly we sometimes experience Cosmic, Horrific, Eerie, Otherworldly, Hyper-Real, Or Peaceful which depends on our states of mind and ego. Such experiences can bring change in our life only when we understand their meaning.
Without this they are of no importance. If seen, such experiences can affect your life in a positive as well as negative way. It all depends on when and in what condition the Altered States of Consciousness is getting triggered.
If you are not stable or are unable to understand what happened to you, then this non-ordinary consciousness experience can be scary and confusing for you.
It is very important for you to understand what is happening to you at what time.
When you understand this, only then you can understand its meaning in your life and can move forward with such experience, can bring right change in life and many more.
Do not forget to tell us in the comments what kind of experiences you have unknowingly experienced and what kind of practical changes you have made in life while understanding them.