Today’s era is of internet and it has created an insecure feeling about our safety, privacy more than what we have got from it. Some such digital technology through which others can be harmed is called Social media cyber bullying.
Some people use the internet for this, while most people harass others through mobile phones. Today’s topic is The Psychology of Social media cyber bullying, in which we will learn some safety tips about how to avoid being harassed by another person on the Internet.
Most people use social media for this, such as applications like Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, and Snapchat, through which people are mentally harmed. it has become a public health problem and its cases have doubled in 2007 to 2019, out of which 60% cases are of teenagers only.
Today, in places like social media, inside of apps, in forums, during gaming, a lot of work is being done to spread awareness among people about how to cope with social media cyber bullying, if someone is doing cyberbully then how to avoid it and its effect. How to improve mental health.
If you comment, bully or say anything that disturbs him mentally, then it comes under cyber bully. This can make you go to jail because the laws have become very strict regarding this, so keep special things in mind while posting anything on social media, internet.
What Is Social media cyber bullying?
We can understand social media cyber bullying by repeatedly threatening someone using digital technology or harassing them by using offensive words, which include threats, harassment, or public humiliation. Others are targeted through digital technology such as mobile devices, tablets, or computers.
You can understand this through the top 5 Social media cyber bullying criteria like intention, repetition, power imbalance, anonymity, and publicity.
- Intention: The biggest intention of Cyberbully is to harm others. When people are engaged in this, then the purpose is to humiliate others or make them feel embarrassed.
- Repetition: This is a hallmark characteristic of social media cyber bullying, in which the same activity is repeated with the victim which bothers him. The biggest example of this is to harass someone in the name of sharing personal information or photos, which is repeated again and again so that the victim becomes completely mentally disturbed.
- Power Imbalance: If bullying is being done in public forum i.e. in front of the people, then it makes the victim power imbalance which spoils his emotion.
- Anonymity: When most people harass others, then they bully by becoming unknown. When this happens then there is no need for any kind of power imbalance between the two.
- Publicity: Some people make them publicly humiliate or feel shame to humiliate others. Behind this, they have to think that it puts them above others and will mentally break the victim.
These are 5 such criteria through which we can understand social media cyber bullying. Now let’s talk about the different forms in which we see Social media cyber bullying.
Types of social media cyber bullying
In today’s time, there are many types of social media cyber bullying that can be seen on the internet.
- We can understand Flaming through the use of such language which should not be used normally. Broadcasting offensive messages about another person is also being spread, so it comes under social media cyber bullying in cybercrime.
- Outing which is used the most, we associate it with making personal or embarrassing information of a victim viral on social media. Today this form is being used the most.
- Trolling means posting content or comments that spread offensive words or thinking to people for a particular person.
- Name calling mostly includes offensive language. Calling a person by any other name instead of his name which irritates him comes in name calling. The act of calling a person by his name can be seen the most among young people.
- Spreading False Rumors By making a person a victim, spreading false rumors about him is also a kind of social media cyber bullying.
- If you are sending Explicit Images or Messages to a known or unknown person on the internet, then this is also a crime.
- Some cyberbullies target their victims repeatedly through cyber stalking, cyber harassing, or physical threats. Today there are 16% such cases in which the victim has been harassed through physical threats on the Internet.
There are all these types on the internet through which the victim is harassed. Knowingly unknowingly we all do this kind of activity.
Why do people act like this?
Like most people, the question in your mind will also be that why do people do this?
To understand this completely, you first have to know about the different factors that lead to cyberbully.
In this, many such reasons come to the fore that inspire others to bother.
Mental Health Issues
Experts believe that cyberbullies come from an environment that forces them to be like this.
Many things are seen in this such as aggression, hyperactivity or impulsivity, or substance abuse that affects mentality.
There is no such thing as sympathy in the eyes of such people and they do not hold back from harassing others.
Victims of Bullying
There are some people who make others victims because this has happened to them at some point or the other.
The way they were controlled, they want that they also control someone and that is why they make the weaker person their victim, which gives them mental pleasure.
Result of Conflicts or Breakups
If social media cyber bullying is happening between two people who were either good friends in the past or in a relationship, then it shows their conflict.
The reason for this is the breakdown of the relationship, due to which one person tries to dominate the other.
The reason for this is usually either to take revenge or because of some kind of jealousy.
When the relationship starts to feel like a burden
Many times it happens that a person gets bored by being in a relationship and he tries to look for a new medium or a new partner.
When his partner opposes it, then social media cyber bullying is used to get rid of him.
Now either he continues to bear it by becoming a victim or else he breaks the relationship by opposing it.
Loneliness or Isolation
Some people who are isolated from others in the society or are not noticed then they get surrounded by the feeling of Loneliness or Isolation.
In such a condition, their target are such people who live in the eyes of others and by targeting them, they not only fulfill their ego but also try to come in the eyes of others.
Why do people become victims of this?
There are some people who are bullies both in real life and online but, most of the cases come from digital space only.
But why so ? Why do some people go online and bully others, while in real life they do not do this kind of work.
A lot of things come to the fore about his behavior like this.
Non-Confrontational & Anonymous
Usually the biggest reason for this is the lack of identity risk. You can come online and say anything to anyone, whereas in real life this is not possible in a face-to-face situation.
Suppose your boss insults you in front of everyone in the office and you are unable to do anything because he is the boss but by coming online you can easily make fun of him by becoming an unknown person, keep his name behind his back and online he can spread rumours.
This is the reason that people who live simple in common life can also bully others online and there is nothing surprising in this.
No Need for Popularity or Physical Dominance
If you want to bully someone in real life, then for this you should have a background, history, which takes a lot of time.
If you annoy someone and want people to notice you, then it is important for you to be popular but there is nothing like this in the virtual world.
You can target and bully others like any unknown person.
No Barrier to Entry
There are not many barriers for you in the online world. If you are smart or know how to use the internet, then you can easily dominate others and become popular yourself.
In real life, you have to struggle a lot for this, but nothing like this is needed in the world of internet.
No Feedback from Victim
People who do not harass anyone in real life, they do such acts on the internet, one of the reasons is that they do not get any feedback from the victim.
You are harassing someone and he cannot harm you until he complains to the cyber police and you are not caught.
As long as this does not happen, you can trouble the person as much as you want because there is never a face-to-face-interaction, nor does he recognize you in real life that you are the one troubling him and This becomes the biggest + point.
How is Cyber Bully different from Real Life?
In real life, if someone bullies someone, then it happens alone, due to which he remains normal in the eyes of others and even if it happens in front of some people, the league forgets it after some time but because of internet There is nothing like that with.
You do social media cyber bullying of someone and it slowly spreads among the people. There is never a shutdown in the internet, due to which it does not take time to spread to every corner of the world.
This is the reason that here the victim does not get any escape, whose direct effect can be seen on his mental health.
For a small example, ragging of a boy or girl does not give them mental torture but if this goes viral on the internet then they become mentally disturbed.
Effects of Social media cyber bullying
Many of its effects can be seen on people facing dealing with social media cyber bullying.
If a person is becoming a victim of social media cyber bullying, then you can see some such effects because unlike traditional bullying these effects cannot remain hidden.
Some of these effects are common such as
- Feelings of distress
- Feelings of depression and mood swings.
- The increasing feeling of Anxiety.
- The victim is either unable to sleep or is often asleep.
- Attempt to attempt suicide.
- be scared all the time
- Creating a sense of low self-esteem or self-worth in oneself.
- Social isolation, separation from friends or being alone most of the time.
- Staying away from every activity that one enjoys.
- Poor academic performance
- Problems arise in relation to relationships with friends or family members.
- Symptoms of post-traumatic stress
- Self-harming activity.
- Sudden change in feelings of anger, irritability, or angry outbursts.
There are many such effects which you can help by identifying yourself or any victim.
Characteristics of Victims
If you notice then not everyone becomes a victim of social media cyber bullying.
Only people with certain characteristics become victims because the perception of common people about them is something like this. Let’s talk about those special people.
- Teens and young adults studying in school or college become the most victims.
- Girls become the most victims in the name of sharing false rumors or explicit images, personal information.
- It cannot be denied that people like gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender can also become victims of social media cyber bullying.
- Such people who are shy or live alone can become a victim of this.
- People who belong to lower-income households can also become victims of this.
- Most of the people who are constantly active on social media become victims of online bullies.
If there is any of these around you and you are seeing the effects shared above, then try to help him.
How to Deal with a Cyber Bully
There are many ways through which you can stop the bullies from happening online.
For example, while staying at a parent’s place, you can explain to your children that they do not need to respond to such activities.
someone is harassing them again and again, then save the text, photos, or any other means of communication sent to them.
If you are an adult, then in that condition also the above method has to be applied.
Apart from this, if you know what is its source, then try to identify it and see what can be done against it. You can tell about this to the people living around you and try to take their help.
If you are in the place of a community and want to deal with it, then you can help the victim for this.
Today, a lot of laws have been made regarding this, so by showing a little awareness, you can talk to people about this and help together. You can play your part everywhere provided you know what to do.
effective way to prevent with social media cyber bullying final conclusion
Friends, today as much as social media is playing an important role in connecting us with each other, some people are also facing problems.
If someone harm you through social media cyber bullying, then know that you are not alone and you will find many people around you with whom this has happened or is happening. Try to work out a solution together.
In most cases, if someone is doing this, then as far as possible, do not respond to him.
While using social media apps, make sure that you have followed the privacy and security tips completely as it will help us to keep away from people who are unaware.
If someone is repeatedly blackmailing you or taking trolls, then give him the answer. The more you endure by being silent, the more you will be upset.