You may have attended seminars where some activities and exercises had done to Building Self-Awareness. It is to strengthen your emotional intelligence and self-leadership abilities.
Today we are going to talk about how to build self-awareness. Here some secrets are shared here regarding how to get awareness and build self-awareness at work. Not only this, but we will also know about how to reprogram your subconscious mind.
People are now curious to be more self-aware because they know what they do with it. You cannot understand others until you understand yourself.
So many programs and seminars run regarding how to become more self-aware. All have the same purpose to help you understand your identity.
If others asked you how much you know yourself, what would be your answer? Do you know yourself well? We cannot know about our limits and strengths until we understand ourselves.
The main agenda for developing self-awareness is meditation and subconscious mind programming, which are the most practiced practice to increase self-awareness.
It stands for consciousness. It simply means how much you can understand what is happening around you. The more we are conscious, the more we are aware of our surroundings. If you are not able to do this means you are unconscious.
Let us know how important it is for us and what are some such activities through which we can improve Self-Awareness as much as possible.
What is building Self-Awareness?
If we pay attention, we will find how close we can understand the events happening around us is called awareness. If we talk about the difference (self) while not talking outside, we will find that we know very little about ourselves.
Here you know better yourself, the higher level of your self-awareness level. It is compulsory because emotional intelligence, self-leadership, and mature adulthood are all determined by this.
It is a skill that can only be developed through practice.
If you practice mindfulness meditation daily, It can be developed within yourself. Any such activity that keeps you in the present moment increases your self-awareness.
Why We Lack Self-Awareness
We all know that Building Self-Awareness is a skill, but do you know that there are 4 base stages to developing it. It is the following
- Stage 1: Unconscious Incompetence
- Stage 2: Conscious Incompetence
- Stage 3: Conscious Competition
- Stage 4: Unconscious Competition
Moving forward without any Self-Awareness is the same as traveling without a destination, an endless journey in which you do not know what to say.
In the beginning, we do not know where we stand, but as we have awareness, we can understand everything clearly.
Unconscious incompetence is such an ability in which you do not have knowledge related to anything and you have to do that like cooking for the first time or driving a car.
If you are having trouble understanding something for the first time, then it means that you are avoiding yourself from learning something.
This happens only when we keep ourselves away from learning new things. Most of the people who do jobs live their life in the same way without any developing self-awareness and without learning anything new.
How our brain works
Whenever we talk about knowing ourselves, it simply means talking about the working system of our brain. Our culture works on reason, logic, and cognition since the Age of Enlightenment (the 1700s). Our brain is divided into 3 parts
- Neocortex: That part of the brain is called the thinking or learning brain. This part controls language, thought, and reasoning.
- Limbic system: It can be called the emotional center. It stores value judgments as well as memories of behaviors that lead to positive and negative experiences.
- Basal ganglia: The part of the brain that is connected to the subconscious. This part is below awareness, so to store any information in it, you have to develop your building Self-Awareness. This part is the root of the brain. All information about our life is stored in this part which cannot be accessed easily.
For this, a chart is being shared below which you can understand.
If you work on How to become more self-aware then you have to connect your conscious connection with these three centers. Different self-awareness activities activate our various brain regions.
Most of the efforts fail only because we work only on the neocortex (thoughts, beliefs, biases). To work fully on it, you have to work on sensitivity to our emotions and instincts.
This is the information that the conscious mind is not able to access easily. Only after accessing it can we gain complete control over thoughts, beliefs, and biases.
Self-Awareness Starts from Your Center
Before you start self-awareness skills, you should know where its center is. Being centering is very important for building Self-Awareness because it increases our attention.
It is this attention that helps us in learning, understanding, and developing. For this, the practice of Mindfulness Meditation: Developing the Observer is said to be the most important.
Although there are thousands of methods of meditation, this meditation practice helps us to be focused on the present moment.
This method is a kind of observational meditation in which we connect awareness to activity by not connecting it to any particular point. It can be breathing or what is happening around us or what is going on in our minds.
Keep in mind that we do all this without any interference. We focus on the breath without trying to control it. When we just observe any activity without any interference, it improves our awareness very fast.
This is a very easy process of developing self-awareness. Along with this, it helps us to understand the unique perspective.
In mindfulness meditation, we do not monitor thoughts, feelings, actions, and behavior, but only see them happening. In observational meditation, space is created between the doer of actions, the thinker of thoughts, and the feeler of feelings.
It simply means to create a gap between action and reaction so that both do not affect each other.
Self-Awareness Activities to Improve Mind-Body Connection
By the way, there are many such skills of building Self-Awareness that can be practiced. What separates humans from animals is their sense and self-awareness which makes human thinking unique.
The more self-awareness, the more conscious and different from others. In the Building Self-Awareness activity, we make a connection between the body and instincts.
For this, you can do exercises like Tai Chi, Qigong, or Yoga, which removes you from external things and connects you with the inner. The most important thing is that you neither need any special skill in these activities nor does it take much time.
Self-Awareness Exercises to Get to Know Your Personality
Your personality is nothing but a collection of patterns in which different types of patterns such as thoughts, beliefs, worldviews, feelings, tendencies, and behaviors are stored.
We experience them based on our experiences and environment. Most of the patterns are stored below our surface of awareness.
When they are included in personality, they help in increasing our consciousness. For this, there are some special activities that you can do such as
- Personality tests Certain activities that are associated with the Enneagram and Myers-Briggs help us understand the dominant patterns of behavior.
- Strengths assessment How we use our strengths while doing any work helps us to understand through Strengths assessment.
- Self-reflection Every day during the evening, give yourself time to solitude and think about what kind of changes have been noticed in your behavior.
How was your behavior yesterday and how was it today, all this helps us to understand through self-reflection activity.
- Personal values Try to know what is most important to you? When we are self-aware of our values, then only we can grow together with him in life.
- Personal vision We all always have a vision of our future. Such self-actualizing individuals reflect our sense of destiny.
- Journaling Writing your activity, and thoughts in a journal are the best building Self-Awareness practice.
- Personal narrative The fundamental component of your life is dependent on your personality. What we think about ourselves, determines our personality.
- Shadow work There are 2 aspects of our every thinking which have been named shadow work. Before reaching the result, we have to accept any one aspect of it.
- Inner Dialogue Our inner voice also has its thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, by understanding this we can make a journal and move forward.
Observe others We are all different in personality, so sometimes to understand ourselves, we have to understand others as well. This helps us to understand different people and strengthen ourselves.
Building Self-Awareness with a Digital App
Quantum resonance technology is a technology that works with digital images and sound files to encode specific energy signatures. Its result is called Digital Mandalas. In this technique, you get to see different types of energy signature layers. In today’s time, there are many such techniques in self-development which are working very well.
Binaural beats are also a kind of energy signature that we see as sound and frequency.
Here are some rare types of brainwave patterns that used to play the primary role in Awaken the Mind. Their main advantage is that you can use them in a normal conscious state.
How to gain self-awareness through others
We can also strengthen our awareness, responsibility, and self-belief through others. If you practice shadow work, you will know well about human nature. We can judge others very easily except ourselves. By observing others, we can learn something new by implementing it within ourselves and can learn to build Self-Awareness.
If you are taking the help of others, then you can ask them such questions as
- According to him, what is the habit in you that is limiting your potential?
- How do you feel when he talks to you?
- How you are in their eyes and what is your weakness in which you should improve.
- What if they had to tell someone about you?
- Is there something that you like to avoid thinking about how I will react to it?
The people living around you can also help you in building Self-Awareness. Provided here that he thinks and cares for you and not toxic people or relationships who are bothering you.
Recap: Developing Self-Awareness Skills final word
How to build self-awareness is a skill that can build through practice. It monitors our behavior but also helps to understand our motives and ourselves.
The correct methods combined with consistent practicing are needed to learn any skill.
The more we can observe ourselves, the more there will be a gap between our thoughts, feelings, and actions, which will prevent us from taking the stress and getting upset.
If you want to start building Self-Awareness, make it a part of your daily life.
There is no need to take any separate meditation practice, seminar, or session for this. If you need help, choose people around you who understand you and care about you.
The more you stay away from the toxic relationship, the more people you know will be able to choose the right people.